Monday, July 28, 2014

The Lord Gives Strength and Peace

I roll over sleepily and sit up. Beside our bed Alexander is wailing in his bassinet. Already showing a lot of similarities to his two older brothers, he, like them, is an active little guy. Legs and arms flailing he howls to be fed; patience is something none of them were born with apparently!

I lift him out to nurse him and he immediately quiets down. Cradling him tenderly in my arms I look at my third son in wonder. Dark tendrils of silky hair curl over baby soft skin; his serious blue eyes, shrouded by dark lashes and brows, focus intently on the task at hand: to fill his tummy as quickly as he can! Since I’m not wearing a watch I am not certain exactly what the time is, but my guess is it’s around 2:30 a.m.. 

With my baby snug in my arms, I let my thoughts wander to the weeks gone by. With Alexander’s birth and then shortly after Jason’s back injury due to an ATV accident; these past weeks have marked the absolute busiest time in my life. Taking care of a newborn, his two active brothers and his crippled father has kept me on my toes from early morning to all hours of the night. Still, it’s been a blessed time too; a time where I’ve had to rely on my heavenly Father immensely. 

Even now, in the stillness of the night, the words God directed me to prior to Alexander’s birth flood my heart once again. “The Lord will give strength unto his people; the Lord will bless his people with peace. For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.” (Psalm 29:11 & Psalm 84:11) 

In the times when I felt too exhausted and stressed to go on, when I didn’t think I could do one more thing, He was there, giving me the strength and peace of mind to do what needed to be done. He supplied all my needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Phil 4:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment