Monday, July 13, 2015

My Cup Overflows

Our last week in Haiti flew by. One beautiful sunset after another; I tried my best to capture them all.




MAF hired an armed guard for us as we had many people coming and going to pick up furniture, appliances and household items; and there had been some serious security incidents in our neighbourhood recently. 

Although it definitely helped us feel safer, God did remind me that: "Except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain." (Psalm 127:1b)


Jayden and Justin dealt with the changes of an ever-emptying house very differently. One morning when there was no chairs left to sit on to eat breakfast, Jayden excitedly jumped on the counter and proudly announced that he could now eat his breakfast there. 


Justin, on the other hand, got quite upset and asked me in a very sad voice where he was going to sit and eat his breakfast. I ended up putting him in Alexander's high chair for the time being.


When the high chair was picked up as well, they ended up just eating on the ground. 


Grandpa (Jason's Dad) arrived on the 6th to help us pack and we were all happy to see him.


Thursday, July 8 was the final day in our home.  The electrical was unhooked, 



The beds were taken apart.



And then everything was picked up, loaded and transported out the gate.



Djempsky also came from Pignon, to spend time with us and help out on our last day.



He had grown up a lot since we first met him during language school, seven years ago. He cried when we said goodbye as Jason had been like an older brother to him.

While Jayden and Justin spent their last hours playing with their friends, Nicholas, Sabboule and Jocemine, Alexander watched the proceedings from the safe confines of his pack and play.



By dinner time the house was finally empty, and we said sad goodbyes to Anoud, Denise and their children.



It was especially sad to see Jayden say goodbye to his two "brothers". 



When the work was done and the goodbyes had been said we headed off to the Broyles home, another MAF family, where we would spend the next few days as we completed our final preparations for our transition.



The following night, Friday, our MAF team and friends had organized a goodbye barbecue for us, which we really appreciated.



They spoiled us with delicious food, burgers, and cakes.



It was special to have this night together with friends who have become like family to us.





Saying goodbye to everyone was hard.



The following day, Saturday, we went on our last MAF flight as a family. The Broyles took a second plane and joined us for the day as we flew to Cap Haitian, took a tap tap ride to the port, and then a water taxi to a secluded beach. Karen took this snap shot of us as we flew beside them.



I, like always, enjoyed the changing views from the airplane window.




On the ground in Cap Haitian we hailed a tap tap, put Grandpa and Alexander in the front and piled the rest of us into the back.



There was lots to see, 



and smell...



At one point I could even taste the city on my lips, so dirty was the air.



When we got out of the city and into the mountains, the air became somewhat cleaner and the view was spectacular.



When we arrived at the port there were plenty of water taxis available for use.






A fifteen minute boat ride took us to a pretty beach cove.



While the kids played in the sand,



and explored..



I relaxed in a hammock and just thought about life.



On the flight back we experienced some bad weather, as rain smattered against the windshield of our airplane, clouds marred our visibility and lightning zigzagged around us.



I felt no fear, however, just faith. God has been teaching me a lot lately and I felt no matter what happened we were in His hands.

Psalm 23 says:The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

He has also given me peace by directing me to this verse, "My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." (Exodus 33;14b)


And you know what? I'm excited. I'm excited to follow wherever He leads us. Jesus said: "I am come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly." (John 10:10b) And that's what He's done for us. He's given us this abundant life, so abundant in fact that my cup overflows.

1 comment:

  1. God be with you and give you peace!!!!!
    Love Henry and Jenny

    ReplyDelete